The best crypto tax software is any tool capable of helping you report your earnings in the cryptocurrency world for tax purposes. If you trade in crypto, like approximately 1 in 10 people today, you need to ensure you’re following the right rules and regulations when it comes to tax.
As cryptocurrency trading has grown increasingly popular over the years, governments and federal authorities have begun to crack down on reporting requirements. As of December 31st, 2022, the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act of 2021 will require all cryptocurrency transactions to be reported on form 1099 each year.
Reporting your wins and losses on stocks, securities, and other investment opportunities can be difficult enough as it is. Adding the complexity of cryptocurrency into the mix is enough to have any trader pulling their hair out.
Fortunately, we’ve assessed the most popular cryptocurrency tax software options in the market today, to bring you the best solutions for your needs.
Best Crypto Tax Software Tools
Best for fast, free cryptocurrency tax reports
- Connections with 74 wallets, 353 crypto exchanges and 14 blockchain addresses
- Automatically synchronizes data from all sources
- Allows exporting to external tax software like TurboTax
- Tracks your portfolio for real-time insights into profits and losses
- Available in over 20 tax jurisdictions including the likes of the UK, Germany and France
Koinly is one of the most popular cryptocurrency tax solutions on the market today, thanks to it’s affordability, and ease-of-use. The solution can deliver comprehensive tax reports in less than 20 minutes, and it easily connects to all of your wallets, blockchain addresses, and exchanges.
Combining insights from across your entire trading portfolio, Koinly helps you to complete accurate tax returns, while gaining a deeper insight into your wealth-building potential. You can easily manage all of your crypto transaction data in one place and monitor how much you’ve spent. With Koinly, you can even track potential errors in your returns, like double entries.
Koinly offers a completely free package for up to 10,000 transactions, with comprehensive portfolio tracking, but you won’t have access to international tax reports or comprehensive audit reports with this package. Paid plans start at $49 per year for 100 transactions.
There’s also a package for $99 per month called Hodler, which enables 1000 transactions, and the Trader package for $179 per year and 10,000 transactions.
You can learn more about Koinly here.
Best for international support
- Complete tax loss harvesting tool
- International support
- Integration with TurboTax as an official partner
- Calculation for capital gains and losses
- Simple app interface
Previously known as CryptoTrader.Tax, CoinLedger is a state-of-the-art tax software designed to streamline the art of completing your cryptocurrency taxes. The technology offers a free report preview, so you can get an idea of what to expect when you complete your tax return.
With CoinLedger, you can import transaction data quickly and easily from a host of crypto platforms. There’s access to official tax forms, which you can send to your tax software or CPA. CoinLedger even stands as an official TurboTax partner. The software is convenient, easy-to-use, and it offers international support to traders around the world, including complete audit support.
You can get started on CoinLedger with a free tax preview. However, you’ll need the paid package to start officially downloading and using reports. There’s a total of four packages to choose from here, including the “Hobbyist” at $49 per month for 100 trades, “Day Trader” at $99 per month for 1,500 trades, and “High Volume” at $199 per month for 5000 trades.
If you trade constantly, the Unlimited package supports unlimited trades, with a $299 price tag and a 14-day money back guarantee.
Use promo code CRYPTOTAX10 to receive 10% off on all plans.
Best for cryptocurrency exchange connections
- Comprehensive audit assistance
- Support for all major exchanges in the cryptocurrency world
- Extensive tax jurisdiction coverage
- Crypto accountant guidance available
- Can both calculate and file taxes
Made to minimize the stress of taxes for your yearly earnings and losses, TokenTax allows companies to quickly calculate and file returns, all in one place. The end-to-end software can connect to all of the major cryptocurrency exchanges, so you can import data from anywhere.
The TokenTax ecosystem will automatically track trading activity, seamlessly collecting information about everything from capital gains and losses to tax liability. Once you’re done collecting all of the information you need, you can file a tax return within the interface. Support from a dedicated crypto accountant is available too.
Pricing for TokenTax starts at $65 per year if you want to calculate your tax liability only for Coinbase accounts. If you’re trading on multiple exchanges, you’ll need the “Premium” account for $199 per year, which manages up to 5,000 transactions.
The “Pro” package for TokenTax costs $799 per year for managing up to 20,000 transactions, and allows you to access extra features like FBAR. VIP packages, starting at $2,500 per year include IRS audit assistant, expert sessions with a tax professional.
Best for simple tax management
- Connect to any exchange or wallet provider
- Comprehensive 7-day customer care and support
- Leading data security systems in place
- Quick and efficient integrations with tools like TurboTax
- Access to a tax professional with all plans
Simple and effective, ZenLedger provides all the guidance and information traders need to send accurate tax returns. The platform provides one-click integrations for exchanges and wallet leaders, so you can stay within the ZenLedger platform when you’re tracking your information.
ZenLedger constantly updates its feature set with new integrations to exchanges, and more than 30 DeFi protocols. The company also provides access to a tax professional with paid plans, so you can easily get guidance and information whenever you need it.
Pricing for ZenLedger starts with a free package, which allows you to manage up to 25 transactions in total and unlock premium support. However, you can’t track things like NFTs. Other packages include the “Starter” plan at $49 per year for up to 100 transactions, the “Premium” package for $149 per year for up to 5,000 transactions, and the “Executive” package for $399 per year and unlimited transactions.
Best for real-time insights
- Partnerships with world-leading exchanges
- API compatible with most leading crypto tools
- Access to real-time insights into your transactions on multiple platforms
- SOC 2 certification for peace of mind on safety and security
Built by CPAs and tax attorneys, TaxBit is easily one of the most reliable cryptocurrency tax software solutions available today. You can use the ecosystem to securely file crypto taxes with state-of-the-art privacy and safety mechanisms to protect your data.
TaxBit supports more than 150 exchanges and over 2000 currencies, making it perfect for those with a versatile investment portfolio. You can export transaction reports in seconds and integrate APIs into your site to automatically collect and import data. TaxBit also has a useful real-time data dashboard, which shows you your balances, tax position and profits/losses in a visual format.
TaxBit organizes its pricing into a series of four options. The first package “Network” is free to use and allows you to connect all data sources to your account to track information. You won’t be able to export reports however. The paid plans include the Basic package for $50 per year, with the ability to download tax forms for any year from any source.
The Plus plan is $175 per year with a tax optimizer for ways to reduce your tax burden. There’s also the “Pro” plan for $500 per year, with features like access to in-house CPAs.
Best for advice and guidance
- Connect exchanges and wallets from access the web
- Combine trades into multiple tax lots based on track code
- View transactions in calendar format for easier insights
- Check your portfolio breakdown by coin or time period
- Accompanying mobile app
One of the most reliable crypto tax software options, Cointracker has more than 500,000 users worldwide today. The company can automatically track information about your portfolio, showing you important details about investment performance and market value. With better visibility into your tax lots, you can even make more informed, intelligent trades.
Cointracker helps users to minimize their tax liability, with insights into where they can save money. There are also real-time data dashboards, so you can keep an eye on your portfolio allocations at any moment. The powerful templates built into the software will also help you to manage your crypto services and make them more searchable.
Pricing for Cointracker starts with an always-free basic package for up to 25 transactions. If you need to make more transactions than this, you’ll need the Hobbyist package, starting at $53, or the Premium package for $179 per month. The Unlimited package allows for unlimited transactions and is priced based on your specific circumstances.
Best for keeping costs low
- Ultra-fast tax management with access to a range of exchanges.
- All transactions are logged and updated in real-time.
- Tag and organize transactions according to pre-defined rules.
- Insights into real-time transaction results.
- Generate complete CSV exports to share with third parties.
Accointing is a convenient, and easy-to-use software for cryptocurrency taxes which helps users from all backgrounds to keep a closer eye on their portfolio. The CPA and cryptocurrency tax experts available from this company can help you to save more money when filing your taxes, by paying attention to any mistakes you might make before you submit anything.
One of the most compelling features of Accointing is it’s comprehensive dashboard, where you can track the performance of your assets in real-time, both on desktop and mobile. You’ll also be able to explore the crypto market more effectively, and make better decisions based on your insights in future. With the ability to generate reports and returns in seconds, you can simplify your tax strategy in no time with Accointing.
Like some of the other top crypto tax software options on this list, Accointing does have a free version. You can create a report for up to 25 taxable transactions without spending anything. After that, you’ll be able to file up to 500 taxable transactions with the “Hobbyist” package at $79.
The “Trader” package supports up to 5,000 taxable transactions at $199 while the “Pro” package supports up to 50,000 transactions for $299.
Best for integrations
- Seamless integration with accounting systems like Xero and QuickBooks.
- Track realized and unrealized losses and gains.
- Export data and create custom reports in minutes.
- Track unlimited blockchain transactions, exchanges, and wallets.
- Track and reconcile Defi activities
Cryptio is a powerful tool for cryptocurrency taxes, helping people from all levels to keep on top of their wins and losses. There are a host of features available on this platform, including links to various exchanges and wallets, so you can get a comprehensive view of all your assets. There’s also access to DeFi support.
Cryptio promises secure, accurate and useful insights into all the information you need for tax, treasury, and accounting filings. You can even use the technology to keep track of cost basis details, live market rates, and other useful information. With links to leading tools like Xero and QuickBooks, it’s easier to align all kinds of valuable tax information.
Cryptio offers a selection of four plans for users from all backgrounds, with both monthly and annual billing to choose from. There’s no free package, but the “Starter” plan for $39 per month will be reasonably affordable for most users with support for 1000 transactions.
The “Pro” package tracks up to 5000 transactions for $89 per month, and Premium tracks 10,000 transactions for $349 per month. There’s also the option to access s accustom Enterprise package for a price based on your unique needs.
All packages come with a 14 day free trial, which you can find out more about here.
Best user interface
- Support for 21 tax jurisdictions.
- Coverage for all NFTs, DeFi and DEX trading.
- More than 400 integrations available with exchanges and wallets
- Easy-to-use interface with real-time insights.
- Full break-downs of all calculations
Getting to grips with the complexities of cryptocurrency taxes is one of the most complicated parts of filing your reports in today’s digital age. The Crypto Tax Calculator software helps to fight back against confusion and common reporting woes, with an easy-to-understand and clean user interface. You can even see full breakdowns of each calculation to see how your taxes have been determined.
The platform is trusted by more than 60,000 users worldwide, as well as industry-leading accountants. What’s more, Crypto Tax Calculator gives you plenty of flexibility when it comes to the kind of crypto conversions you’re tracking, with DeFi, NFT, and DEDX trading.
There’s a free package available to let you test out the functionality of Crypto Tax Calculator on up to 10,000 transactions. However, you won’t be able to download your tax reports until you pay for a premium plan. The first paid plan is $49 per month for the “Rookie” package, which supports up to 100 transactions.
The “Investor” package is $189 per year for 10,000 transactions, including DeFi and DEX. Finally, there’s the “Trader” package for $299 billed yearly, with support for up to 100,000 transactions. All plans have a thirty day money-back guarantee.
What is Crypto Tax Software?
Choosing the right crypto tax software starts with understanding what you’re looking for. Ultimately, a cryptocurrency tax software is a digital tool, similar to a standard accounting or bookkeeping system, which helps you to track cryptocurrency transactions and taxable assets.
The crypto tax software options mentioned above integrate with a wide range of wallets and exchanges, to provide traders and investors with insights into their cryptocurrency portfolio in one synchronized space. Aside from allowing you to track your investment information more easily, the software can also help you to track the cost basis of coins and generate reports.
In recent years, tax software specifically dedicated to understanding cryptocurrency and generating tax reports associated with these coins has grown increasingly popular. As cryptocurrencies become more popular, and rules and regulations surrounding the taxation of these assets evolve, the right software is more essential than ever.
In many cases a cryptocurrency tax software can help to save you significant time and effort associated with compiling accurate documents by hand. You should also be able to access a range of tools and features which can help you to reduce your tax liability.
With the right crypto tax software, you can:
- Ensure all your reports are accurate, reducing your risk of fines and compliance issues.
- Minimize your chances of audits by delivering comprehensive reports each year.
- Ensure you’re paying the correct amount in cryptocurrency taxes.
- Reduce your tax liability by showing you options to keep costs low.
- Help you organize and keep track of cryptocurrency transactions from different places.
- Evaluate your cryptocurrency portfolio and how well it’s currently growing
- File taxes more easily with minimal confusion and errors, thanks to automated data importing, cost basis tracking and other features.
Because the software is designed specifically for cryptocurrency taxes, it considers the unique requirements associated with filing taxes from earnings derived through exchanges.
What to Look for in Crypto Tax Software?
Just like with standard tax and accounting software, there’s no one-size-fits-all strategy to choosing the perfect technology. Taking the time to carefully consider your portfolio and ask yourself what kind of features and functionality make the most sense for you is crucial.
Start by ensuring your tax software has all the most essential capabilities, like the ability to compile and organize data from multiple locations, retrieve prices for each crypto assets, and format information into the right tax reports templates.
Your crypto tax software should also provide comprehensive gains and losses calculations, which are essential to your tax reports. Outside of these requirements, some of the most important things you’ll need to think about when picking your technology include:
- Exchange support: Most exchanges don’t report transactions to the IRS directly, so many people will need to fill out additional forms for every trade. This can be a very time consuming process. Having a crypto tax software solution which automatically imports data through integration with a range of exchanges will save you a lot of work.
- Price: The tax software you use will need to match your budget, so it’s important to look for a company with an affordable pricing structure. With that in mind, try not to compromise too much on functionality for cost savings. Make sure you understand all of your options, and compare each package like-for-like.
- Coin tracking: Different kinds of coins and investment opportunities in the crypto landscape can be subject to specific rules. With this in mind, it’s worth looking for software providers which can provide tools specially for tracking certain kinds of coins.
- Real time insights: Real-time insights and data about your profits and losses, as well as your cryptocurrency portfolio, can help you to make better decisions about your investments in the moment. Look for a crypto tax software which can provide you with both short-term and long-term information about your trades.
- Data import and export: Your crypto tax calculation software should be able to accurately import data from a range of different wallets and exchanges to keep your records as accurate as possible. It’s also worth looking for a system which can easily export your reports and information to other third-party tools and services.
- Security and privacy: The right security measures are essential to keeping information about your cryptocurrency portfolio as safe as possible. Make sure the tool you’re using is secured to the highest standards. A secure backup system is also useful to ensure you don’t lose any data or records if anything goes wrong.
- Ease of use: it might go without saying, but a cryptocurrency tax software that’s easy to use is more likely to generate positive results for you then a complex system. You need to be able to understand your technology so you can leverage it correctly.
- Customer support: If anything does go wrong with your portfolio information, or you struggle with a technology issue when you’re trying to create one of your reports, you’ll need the help of an expert. Look for a cryptocurrency tax tool with a great reputation for providing support and guidance when users need it most.
Don’t forget to keep an eye out for other “extra” features which can make the technology you’re accessing even more compelling. For instance, some of the tools mentioned above will allow users to access CPA and certified accountant help.
You can also find a range of tools offering features like “tax loss harvesting”, which helps you to save crucial money on your taxes, and conversion calculations when you convert your cryptocurrency into FIAT assets.
Cryptocurrency Tax Software FAQ
Q: Do I need to report cryptocurrency on my taxes?
Yes, but a lot of people forget to do so because cryptocurrency isn’t always deemed the same as “FIAT” or traditional income. If you’re trading in cryptocurrencies, the new laws coming into play at the end of 2022 will require you to provide accurate tax reports with all of your profits and losses recorded for each year. If you fail to report your earnings correctly, you could face significant fines.
Q: How do I track cryptocurrency taxes?
Cryptocurrency tax software is one of the easiest ways to make sure you can monitor your trades, cryptocurrency gains, losses, and taxable assets. The software you choose should be able to give you a better insight into your portfolio by aligning information from multiple exchanges and wallets, while ensuring you can stay on top of tax filing.
Q: What is the best tax software for cryptocurrency?
This depends on the kind of features you’re looking for from your cryptocurrency solutions. The best software will be one you feel comfortable using, with a wide range of features and capabilities to explore. Make sure you consider the features you need carefully before you invest in your new tax software and pay special attention to the customer service and support available from each provider. Some tools will allow you to test out the technology for free before investing any cash.
Q: Can you calculate cryptocurrency taxes on your own?
While it is possible to calculate your tax liabilities on your own, it’s extremely difficult to do so without the right technology to guide you. Without cryptocurrency tax software, you would have to track all of your trades and transactions manually. If you have a particularly complex cryptocurrency portfolio, you may need additional help from a professional.
Q: Can you use cryptocurrency tax software for free?
There are some free versions of cryptocurrency tax software on the market today, but most of these will only allow you to track a small number of conversions. You may also find you’re unable to access crucial features with a free package.
Choosing your Cryptocurrency Tax Software
Choosing the right crypto tax software for filing your tax reports and returns each year can be a daunting prospect, particularly as new providers continue to arrive on the market. The good news is there are several tools out there which can really make your life a lot easier.
TokenTax makes it simple to connect to various exchanges and align your assets in one environment. Cryptio is ideal for accessing integrations, while Accointing helps to reduce your taxable income. Each of the options above has something special to offer.
Don’t forget, you can always try a demo of many of the software tools offered above to test the functionality before you dive in.