The best keyword rank tracking software is a must-have if you’re hoping to succeed with search engine optimization. We know around 68% of online experiences begin with a search engine, and over 92% of global traffic comes from Google. However, companies often struggle to find the best way of leveraging the search engine algorithms for success.
Google’s rank tracking data notes your position on the search results will depend on various things, including your domain authority (backlinks), technical SEO, and so on, but it’s your keywords that seem to make the biggest difference. Ultimately, 90% of content gets no organic local search traffic via Google, so without keywords, you’re missing out on conversions.
Fortunately, keyword rank tracking software helps to determine you’re targeting the right keywords, with the best, most competitive search volumes.
So, which rank tracking tool is best? Let’s find out!
Best Keyword Rank Tracking Software:
1. SE Ranking
Best for real-time tracking
An all-in-one solution for search engine optimization, SE Ranking makes SEO simple, so you can focus more time on growing your business. At the top of SE Ranking’s list of compelling features is its 100% accurate rank tracking service. The solution offers real-time ranking information about your website’s keywords, across a host of major search engines. You can track your rankings via country, region, and even city level.
Rather than focusing exclusively on Google, SE Ranking will check all of the top search engines and give you the tools to analyze mobile and desktop results at the same time. You’ll be able to monitor the SERPs, as well as Maps and Ad positions in real-time. Plus, there’s access to competitive intelligence, so you can check your results against your top competitors.
The rank tracking tools from SE Ranking are extremely immersive, but they’re only one part of the package. You can also unlock other features like:
- Site modification alerts
- Keyword grouping and suggestions
- White label reporting
- Collaborative tracking
- Backlink monitoring
- SEO reporting tools
- Social media management
You can pay for your SE Ranking on a daily, 3-day, or weekly basis. The length of your subscription period makes a significant difference, as you’ll pay less the longer you’re willing to commit to the service. The three packages include:
- Essential: $24.80 per month: Up to 10 websites, audits for 40,000 pages, monitoring for 6,000 backlinks, keyword grouper, competitive and keyword research, 20 domain backlink checks per day, and on-page audits for 100 pages. You’ll also get flexible SEO reporting, social media analytics, and marketing plan tools.
- Pro: $56.80 per month: The Pro plan features everything from Essential, but for an unlimited number of websites. You also get backlink checking for 100 domains per day, monitoring for 30,000 backlinks, auditing for 250,000 pages, and on-page auditing for 450 pages. There are 3 user seats here, rather than just 1, page change monitoring for up to 100 pages, and a keyword database expansion (10,000).
- Business: $120 per month: Here, you’ll get all the features of Pro, plus 10 user seats, 250-page change monitoring alerts, 25,000 words for your keyword database, white-label, and API access. You can also run on-page audits for 750 pages, check backlinks for 300 domains, and monitor for 90,000 backlinks. Plus, you’ll have website auditing for up to 700,000 pages.
- Easy and quick setup
- Affordable pricing plans
- Offers a rank check frequency discount on all plans
- Provides flexible pricing options
- Explains how you can resolve detected SEO issues
- Offers white labeling features for marketing agencies
- Selection of features can be overwhelming
- Limited number of keywords for rank tracking on every plan
- Caps the number of keywords you can track per month
- Retrieves data slowly (as reported by some users)
Best for digital marketing and SEO professionals
Regarded one of the most powerful tools for online marketing, SEMRush goes far beyond the basics of keyword rank tracking, to give you all the tools you need for online success. Trusted by world-leading brands like Apple, Tesla, IBM, and Walmart, SEMRush collects data direct from Google, and helps you monitor the rankings for any URL, domain, or subdomain.
The data available from SEMRush is second to none, suitable for tracking the position of your website on a comprehensive level, both locally and nationally, and on desktops or mobiles. You can also filter your insights based on a range of 16 SERP features to determine which keywords are going to trigger what kind of results. It’s extremely comprehensive.
You can even use SEMRush to track how well you’re competing with the competitors in your industry. Just switch to the “Discovery” tab to discover all the domains ranking for your target keywords, and sort according to visibility level. If you’re looking for detailed reports, it’s hard to find anything with the same insight as SEMRush. Features include:
- Comprehensive keyword filtering
- Keyword suggestions and segmentations
- Worldwide and local ranking reports
- Competitor discovery
- Alerts for position changes
- Accurate local map rankings
Pricing for SEMRush falls into one of three categories. You can pay annually to save 17% on your purchase too. Your options include:
- Pro: $119.95 per month for five projects, tracking for 500 keywords, domain, backlink, and keyword analysis, and up to 3,000 reports per day.
- Guru: $229.95 per month for all the features of Pro, plus 15 projects, 1,500 keywords with daily updates, and 5,000 reports per day. You also get a content marketing platform, Google Data Studio integration, Historical data and backlink analytics.
- Business: $449.95 per month for all the features of Guru, plus up to 40 projects, tracking for 5000 keywords, share of voice metrics, API access, and 10,000 reports a day.
You can easily upgrade, downgrade, or cancel your subscription whenever you choose.
- Intensive keyword analysis
- Reasonably priced platform
- Offers demographic insight
- Identifies spammy backlinks
- It’s an all-in-one solution for keyword research and content optimization software.
- Comes bundled with an add-on for Google Docs and WordPress.
- Highlights keyword stuffing.
- Gives users access to readability, SEO, and plagiarism grading.
- It’s packed with all the features one will need to launch an SEO and SEM campaign
- Its keyword research tool is regarded as one of the best
- Provides recommendations on how to fix on-page errors
- Reports of inaccurate data on ad spend
- Requires a steep learning curve
- Only one user login
- Only available via SEMrush plans
- Asks you to pay $45/month per additional user
- Does not have a friendly user interface
- It is quite expensive compared to other tools in the market
Best for daily updates
Another popular keyword rank tracking tool promising to make SEO easy, Mangools’ SERPWatcher does a lot of the hard work of SEO for you, by keeping an eye on your site’s traffic potential. All you need to do is enter a link to a domain, and you can start tracking. It takes about 30 seconds to get everything set up, and you can get email notifications whenever something changes.
SERPWatcher provides extensive insights into local rankings in over 50,000 locations, including countries, states and cities. You can also access your ranking updates on your smartphone with an available app. If you’re working on ranking with a team, you’ll be able to share a comprehensive interactive report with just one link too.
SERPWatcher is extremely easy to use, with thousands of SERP positions checked by the system every day. For beginners, there’s virtually no learning curve to worry about, so you can start upgrading your performance almost immediately. Features include:
- Keyword tagging and organization
- Performance index for checking traffic potential
- Over 50,000 locations for tracking
- Easy-to-share interactive reports
- Desktop and mobile friendly
- Daily keyword tracking
There’s a 48-hour money back guarantee to give you a little more peace of mind when you first set up your SERPWatcher service. The comprehensive range of subscription plans also means you’re more likely to find something suited to your specific needs. With annual plans saving you 40% per month, you’re definitely better off investing long-term. Options include:
- Mangools Basic: $49 per month for 100 keyword lookups per day, 200 of 700 keyword suggestions / search, 25 competitor keyword searches, 100 SERP lookups per day, 200 keywords tracked per day, 100,000 backlink rows per month, and 20 site lookups per day.
- Mangools Premium: $69 per month for the features of Basic, plus 500 keyword lookups per day, 700/700 keyword suggestions, unlimited competitor keywords, 500 SERP lookups per day, 700 daily tracked keywords, 500,00 backlink rows per month, 70 site lookups a day and 3 simultaneous logins.
- Mangools Agency: $129 per month for all the features of Premium, plus 1,200 keyword lookups, 1,200 SERP lookups, 1500 tracked keywords per day, and 1,200,000 backlink rows per month. You’ll also have 150 site lookups a day and 10 simultaneous logins.
- Offers comprehensive data sets
- Precise and accurate keyword research
- Great integrations with Google Search Console
- Difficult to build content around data provided
Best for local tracking
Budget-friendly and easy to use, Nightwatch is one of the most extensive location-focused keyword tracking tools on the market. You can discover your position in the search rankings across more than 100,000 locations worldwide – more than most other competitors.
To ensure you have a comprehensive view of your position, Nightwatch doesn’t just look at your position in Google. You’ll also see how you rank on platforms like DuckDuckGo, YouTube, and Bing, as well as on desktop and mobile. Like many leading keyword rank tracking tools, the service collects ultra-accurate data from Google Analytics, Keyword Planner, and Search Console.
Aside from giving you a comprehensive view of your local search performance, Nightwatch will also provide tips and insights on how to make your site more visible. There’s a reporting tool for white-label reports, and an auditing feature too. Some of the capabilities include:
- Tracking in more than 100,000 locations
- Extensive SERP analysis for multiple platforms
- Accurate white labelled reports
- Rank-boosting keyword discovery
- Site auditor
There’s a free 14-day trial so you can check you’re happy with the service before spending a fortune. After that, you can save around 40% on your packages if you’re willing to pay annually. Plan options include:
- Starter: $39 per month for 500 daily tracked keywords, 50 websites tracked, 5,000 site audit pages, Google analytics integrations, and tracking for Bing, YouTube, and Google.
- Optimize: $99 per month for all the features of Starter, plus 1,000 keywords tracked, 200 websites tracked, 10,000 site audit pages, 15 white label reports, API access, Google Analytics and Google Search Console integration.
- Agency: $369 per month for all the features of Optimize, plus 5,000 daily tracked keywords, 1,000 websites tracked,50,000 audit pages, unlimited user seats, and unlimited white label reports.
- On demand rank tracking
- Excellent interface
- Easy to understand reports
- Pricier than competition
- Free trial is very limited
5. Advanced Web Ranking
Best for rankings on-demand
Advanced Web Ranking is a long-standing tool in the keyword rank tracking environment. The solution will help you to access information about your keywords from fresh rankings available whenever you want them. You can examine searches in multiple languages, create white-label reports, and even check your insights from your smartphone.
Trusted by some of the leading companies in the world, Advanced Web Ranking can examine all kinds of SERP features, with custom SEO reports and a WYSIWYG editor. You’ll even be able to search the reports you create through a single link or connect them to third-party tools.
Competitor research from Advanced Web Ranking means you can examine your performance in the search engines in the context of your competition and check progress over time. You’ll even be able to find out who your competitors are if you’re not sure. Some of the features offered by Advanced Web Ranking include:
- Desktop and mobile applications
- Custom SEO reporting with WYSIWYG builder
- Unlimited users and websites
- Competitor insights and discovery
- API and integration options
- Multiple language support
- Free trial available
One of the more affordable products on the market, Advanced Web Ranking offers a thirty-day free trial to get you started, and there’s a money back guarantee if you’re not happy. If you want to save some cash on long-term analytics, the annual packages will cost 10% less than monthly options. Your package choices include:
- Starter: $49 per month: Competitor insights, 2000 units, and extensive SERP insights.
- Pro: $99 per month: 7000 units, all the features of Starter and competitor discovery.
- Agency: $199 per month: All the features of Pro, plus 14,500 units, local keyword search volumes, and hourly updates.
- Enterprise: $499 per month: All the features of Agency, plus 35,500 units, data migration support, and advanced customer service
Best budget-friendly keyword tracking
Wonderfully cost-effective for those who don’t have a lot of budget for keyword rank tracking, Wincher will help any business thrive online. You can immediately see where you stand when it comes to positions for your top keywords, and there are tips on how to improve your rankings. Wincher will also help you to discover keywords you haven’t considered before.
The convenient rank-checking technology will allow you to monitor your position in the search engines, deliver insights to shareholders with ranking reports, and even determine what you need to do next. There are plenty of capabilities to help you optimize your content in the search engines.
Wincher’s simple tool can help you find high-volume keywords with the lowest competition – perfect for when you want to carve out the right space online. There’s also access to API technology, and local ranking across more than 180 countries. Features include:
- Daily reports and notifications
- SERP insights for low-competition high-volume keywords
- Automatic competition monitoring
- Complete API access
- Support for multiple devices
- Accurate ranking across 180 countries
The biggest selling point of Wincher is its pricing structure. There’s a free trial to get you started, after that, pricing starts at around $34 per month. You can also get discounts by paying for your service annually. Your options include:
- Starter: $34 per month: Daily ranking updates, 10 websites, and multiple user support. Track up to 500 keywords per day.
- Business: $70 per month: All the features of Starter but track up to 1000 keywords per day and access white-label reports, API access and on-demand updates.
- Enterprise: $235 per month: All the features of Business with tracking for 5,000 keywords per day, plus external users, project permissions, and priority support
If you need even more functionality, you can get an Enterprise-ready quote from the team via email.
7. SEO Powersuite
Best desktop tracker
Unlike most keyword rank tracking software, you’ll use in-browser, SEO Powersuite is a downloadable service you can install on your desktop. Though you’ll still need a connection to the internet to access up-to-date information, you’ll be able to view and edit reports offline, which is great for when you don’t always have a link to the web.
The ecosystem is extremely easy to use, with a host of tools to help you improve your ranking and out-perform the competition. There are extensive analytics insights, so you can see which SEO tactics are most likely to impact your business. You’ll also have access to extensive report creation tools, so you can share your insights with shareholders.
For beginners in the rank tracking world, there’s very little learning to do before you’ll begin to see results with Powersuite. You just hit a button and you’re ready to go. There’s in-depth link analysis, 19 different keyword suggestion tools, and built-in PPC analysis. Just some of the features available include:
- Accurate rank monitoring across 329 search engines
- Profound backlink analysis
- Extensive keyword suggestions and research
- On-page SEO with site auditing
- In-depth competition analysis
- White-label SEO reports
Your pricing options for SEO PowerSuite start with a free version, where you can try out all the features, but you won’t be able to save any projects. The costs for the paid plans are:
- Professional: Approx. $340 per year: Unlimited keywords, and websites, project saving, cloud project storage and automated task scheduling. You’ll also have access to external sources of data via integrations, advanced safety features, SEO reports, and 8 interface languages to choose from, plus 16 keyword suggestion mechanisms.
- Enterprise: Approx. $820 per year: All the features of Professional, plus data exports, keyword research reports for clients, ranking reports for clients, backlink reporting for clients and more.
Best for fast insights
Accuranker promises extremely fast and accurate rank insights, and it’s trusted by more than 25,000 brands, SEO professionals, and agencies worldwide. This simple and comprehensive tool for search engine management will give you instant ranking updates on-demand whenever you need them, as well as refreshes every second hour.
Accuranker stands out for its excellent combination of high-quality enterprise features, offered at a low cost. You can access API tech for connecting data sources and unlock advanced landing page insights. There’s outstanding customer service, with one-on-one best practice sessions, extensive help-guides, and live chat too.
For a deep-dive overview of your search engine strategy, Accuranker’s reports are excellent. There are hundreds of ways to filter your data, and you’ll have share of voice metric information. You can also access customized reports with your own logo, in case you want to impress some clients. Features include:
- Extensive integration with digital marketing tools like Google Analytics
- Management for unlimited domains and landing pages
- Easy custom reporting with templates
- In-depth insights into share of voice
- Enterprise features like API connectivity
- On-demand and instant keyword information
- Excellent customer service
Accuranker keeps its pricing reasonably straight forward, rather than having multiple packages to choose from, you’ll only have one package with all the features include. This costs around $109 per month, but there’s a discount if you’re willing to adopt yearly billing cycles. The single package is brimming with features, like integrations with all of the top search engines, local and mobile results, advanced data segmentation and competitor pricing.
The amount you pay simply increases when you need to track more keywords. This means if you want 1000 keywrds, you’ll start at the $109 package. If you want 50,000, you’ll be spending closer to ten times that.
9. Authority Labs
Best for marketing agencies
Authority Labs is one of the leading tools in the SEO market among professionals. The white-labelling abilities of this service are fantastic, meaning agencies can make their brand stand out when interacting with clients. The software is already popular among companies like Mint, Symantec, AND Choice Hotels.
Within the Authority Labs toolkit, you’ll find SEO services to suit a range of requirements, including a rank tracker for reliably monitoring your SEO performance. There’s the option to automate local rank tracking and mobile tracking with daily reports. You’ll also have insights into organic keywords, daily data updates, and global tracking.
Authority Labs makes it easier to get to the bottom of your ranking requirements when you’re trying to improve SEO rankings. Your entire team can use the software, and everything is white labelled, with clean URLs when you want to share reports with clients. The local insights are pretty impressive too, with the option to search by postal code, state and city. Features include:
- Custom reports with white labelling
- Comprehensive competitor tracking
- Support for unlimited users
- Access to organic keyword suggestions
- High-quality data and SERP insights
- Mobile-specific tracking
- Global or local rank tracking
Like many top SEO keyword rank trackers, Authority Labs has its own 14-day trial, so you can check how the features work before diving in. The paid plans include:
- Plus: $49 per month for 50 domains, 250 keywords, mobile tracking, local tracking, daily updates, instant reports and unlimited users.
- Pro: $99 per month for all the features of Plus, as well as 1000 keywords, 100 domains, white labelling and Google Data studio integrations.
- Pro Plus: $225 per month for the features of Pro plus 2500 keywords, and 300 domains.
- Enterprise: $450 per month with all the features of Pro Plus, but for 5000+ keywords, unlimited domains, and Interface API access.
Best for automated reports
Serpstat is an all-in-one SEO analytics tool with keyword rank tracking provided as part of the package. Popular among companies like Deloitte, Shopify, and Samsung, Serpstat is a highly reliable service, offering insights into historical SERP data, keyword groupings via tags, and traffic distribution across domains.
The keyword research part of the Serpstat ecosystem will give you immersive in-depth URL analytics, as well as information on search questions, and tree-view keyword distribution data, for tracking which terms are related. You can easily get suggestions on which accompanying keywords you might want to consider using in your marketing campaigns and set up adaptable filters.
To help you stay on top of the information you need for better keyword performance, Serpstat will allow you to track market share with analyzed keywords using an automated schedule. You can get daily, weekly, and monthly reports, depending on your needs. Features include:
- In-depth URL analytics
- Comprehensive competitor research
- Related keywords and tree-view keyword distribution
- Insights to search questions
- Site auditing tools
- Backlink analytics
- Custom automated reports
Costs for Serpstat are lower when you’re willing to pay for a year of service at once. You’ll save around 20% on most plans this way. Billed monthly, here’s what you can expect to pay:
- Lite: $69 per month: 4000 searches per day, 10,000 results per report, 500 backlink searches per day, access to site audit, backlinks, and search analytics API. 100,000 API credits per month, and support for 10 projects.
- Standard: $149 per month: All the features of Lite, plus 5000 searches per day, 500,000 API credits, access to the rank tracking API, 60,000 position checks per month, and 50 projects.
- Advanced: $299 per month: All the features of Standard plus 150,000 position tracks per month, 75 projects, 8000 searches per day, 150,000 tools credits, and 1,250,000 pages for auditing.
- Enterprise: $499 per month: All the features of Advanced, plus 300,000 tools credits, 2,500,000 pages to audit, 300,000 position checks per month, 100 projects, 2 million API credits per month, 2000 backlink searches per day, and 12,000 keyword searches per day.
- Provides very detailed analytics
- Offers very unique tools such as missing keywords, search question feature, and team mamangement
- Keywords for social signals are available
- It provides comprehensive keyword research tools like Keyword Clustering and Missing Keywords
- You can be billed every 60 months which reduces plan prices by 35%
- Serpstat analytics is very detailed
- Site audit takes significantly longer versus other tools
- Reports of buggy keyword accuracy
- The number of keywords your can research in a day is limited
- There are reports that the UI can be sluggish at times
11. Moz Pro Keyword Explorer
Best for keyword research
Moz is one of the more popular names in search engine analytics for a good reason. The extensive range of tools offered by the company can help anyone to rank better online. With the keyword explorer, you’ll have access to a host of informative insights about the keywords you need to target to become more competitive in your industry.
All you need to do to get started is enter a keyword or URL. From there, the solution will help you to discover the best keywords to prioritize. You can also get comprehensive keyword suggestions, and notifications every time your keyword position changes. There’s a difficulty score on the keywords suggested for your campaigns too, so you know how likely you are to succeed with your campaign.
Moz covers more than just the Google search engines with its rank tracking functionality. You’ll also be able to look into Yahoo, Bing and other locations too. There’s also the possibility to instantly generate reports if you need to share valuable keyword information with the rest of your team. Features include:
- Competitor keyword research
- Sorting for keywords using predictive metrics
- Keywords for long-term tracking
- Adds your SEO ranking to a historical graph
- Easy to use interface
- Free SEO tools
- Identifies keyword difficulty
Pricing for Moz’s keyword tracker comes as part of the costs for the overall Moz Pro SEO service. Each package will allow you to analyze keywords by search volume, generate and save keyword lists, export data, find keywords as questions, and sort predictive keyword metrics. The pricing only changes based on the extra SEO features you might need. Options include:
- Standard: $99 per month: Track and crawl 3 campaigns, check 300 keyword rankings, 1000,000 mobile rankings, and submit 150 search queries per month. Other features include 5 keyword lists, unlimited scheduled reports, and competitor analysis.
- Medium: $179 per month: All the features of Standard for 10 campaigns, 1500 keyword rankings, 5000 keyword queries, unlimited branded reports, 200 rank checker queries a day, 2 user seats, and 24/7 support.
- Large: $249 per month: All the features of Medium, plus 25 campaigns, 1900 keyword rankings, 15,000 queries per month, unlimited report templates, 3 user seats and 24/7 support.
- Premium: $479 per month: All the features of Large plus 50 campaigns, 45000 keywords, 30,000 queries per month, 1000 links per day, unlimited reporting, onboarding and support for 5 user seats.
12. Google Search Console
Best Free Service
Google Search Console is the first keyword tracking and ranking tool most business owners and marketers will use. Though extremely basic compared to some of the other services covered on this list, Google Search Console will provide a decent insight into your position with the Google search results, so you can begin to build your business presence.
You can optimize your content using suggestions taken directly from Google, and see which queries are driving the most attention to your website. You’ll also be able to submit crucial sitemaps and URLs to ensure Google is properly crawling your website every time you load up some new content. Google Search Console can also help with alerts when something goes wrong on your site.
One particular bonus of Google Search Console is the chance to better understand how Google sees your website and get training directly from the Google service team. You can also optimize your website form AMP pages and improve your chances of appearing in the rich snippet results. Features include:
- AMP optimization and mobile testing
- Rich results tracking
- Keyword insights
- Reports on your most successful keywords
- Site mapping
- Training from Google
Google Search Console is free to use, which is one of the reasons why many companies use this product more than any other to begin with.
Keyword Rank Tracking Software FAQ
Q: What is a keyword rank tracker?
A keyword rank tracker is a ranking tool for digital marketing which helps you to understand the position of your website on the search engine pages. You can also use these tools for things like finding new keywords, competitive analysis, and SEO support.
Q: Why are keywords crucial to SEO?
Keywords are perhaps the most important part of SEO because they help search engines to understand what your website has to offer. When your customer searches for specific terms, Google and other search engines look for those terms in your content to confirm relevance.
Q: What metrics matter most to keyword rank tracking?
Visibility is crucial for a good keyword rank tracking – most companies aim for a visibility of 100% organically for a high position. Search volume is also important, as more volume means more traffic, while keyword position determines where a website ranks on the search engine.
Q: Are there free rank tracking tools?
You can access some rank tracking tools for free, like Google Search Console, but you won’t get nearly the same level of in-depth insights as you’d expect from a paid service.
Q: What’s the best keyword rank tracking tool for beginners?
This depends mostly on what you want to accomplish with your rank tracking strategy. A lot of companies like to start with Google Search Console. However, if you want more extensive insights, you might need something more comprehensive, like Wincher.
Q: What’s the best SEO rank tracking tool for agencies?
Authority Labs is excellent for agencies because it allows them to create more customized and branded reports for their customers. If you want to make your brand stand out when offering SEO services, choose this tool.
Choosing the Best Keyword Rank Tracker
There’s more to excellent SEO than keywords- but you won’t get anywhere unless you know which terms you need to be targeting. The best keyword rank tracker software gives you everything you need to outshine the competition on today’s increasingly cluttered web.
The choice of which product is right for you will depend heavily on what you want to accomplish. If you’re looking for real-time insights, SE Ranking is definitely one of the top choices. For marketing Agencies, Authority Labs is the way to go, while SERPWatcher gives you an insight into your daily rank more effectively than other tools. Most of the services above have free trials, so you can always “try” the service before you buy.