Imagine making $42 more for every dollar you spend.
Sounds crazy, I know. But that’s the average ROI of email marketing.
The insane numbers that email marketing can generate for businesses is one of the reasons you should get in the act as well.
However, aside from knowing the best practices of sending emails that convert, you need a platform that will help you manage your contacts and campaigns. That’s where email marketing solutions come in.
In this post, you will learn the best email marketing tools to choose from and understand how email campaign software contributes to the success of your campaign.
Let’s get started!
What Makes Great Email Marketing Software?
Let’s start by first defining what is email marketing software.
Email marketing platforms or email marketing software solutions are the tools that power the majority of newsletters and emails you receive from companies every day. Their automated nature makes them a great way to promote blog posts, share new product features, and generally keep customers engaged, directly from their inbox; which means the best email automation platforms are built to simplify a lot of the tedium behind email marketing.
While there’s a multitude of tools offered by both paid and free marketing tools, we’ve focused on the best email marketing solutions that offer simple yet powerful solutions that allow you to achieve your primary goal: get the word out about your business in the easiest and fastest way.
All of the best email marketing tools we’ve selected are characterized by the following features:
- Performance reports
- Strong choice of templates
That being said, some of the best email marketing solutions in their premium plans offer more advanced features such as drip marketing campaigns or A/B testing so that you can expand your email marketing toolkit as you grow your business.
What Are the Best Email Marketing Software Platforms?
Once you know the key features of great email marketing software, you need to find the best platform that suits your needs and wants. There are lots of tools to choose from–ranging from paid platforms to free email marketing services, but we’ve narrowed down the list to the only email marketing platforms that matter.
Here are our top picks for the best email marketing platforms in 2023:
If there’s an email platform that comes close to being the best marketing software with all-encompassing features, Active Campaign should be on top of the list.
As one of the most sophisticated email tools in the market, Active Campaign is largely recognized as one of the preferred enterprise email marketing platforms that gives you the power to develop and launch automation and drip campaigns for your business. It also lets you leverage its omni-channel features such as social media, live chat, and others to develop a cohesive marketing strategy that provides each customer a positive experience with your brand.
While it doesn’t have free email marketing tools, it does have features that provide tailored services, including the best email automation tools and personalized email marketing software built to provide users with whatever they need. It also arguably offers one of the best email outbound tools, making it one of the top email marketing services that you can try.
- Send broadcasts to and set up triggered and targeted emails for segments in your list.
- Create email automation workflows that will help set up your business to autopilot.
- Manage your contacts and score them accordingly as business leads and clients.
- Implement site personalization so visitors will see content that best caters to them.
- Leverage machine learning to send the best email variants at the right time.
For $29/month ($25/month paid annually), you can send unlimited emails to a maximum of 1,000 subscribers, build automations, and get access to its chat and email support.
Higher-tier plans starting at $70/month ($49/month paid annually) for the same amount of contacts make it one of the most ideal enterprise email marketing platforms that give you access to premium features like CRM and sales automation, machine learning, and more.
You can sign up for a free trial first before and try its features before committing to its paid plans.
Email marketing isn’t enough to power your mom-and-pop shop, especially if you’re starting from scratch. Constant Constant is aware of this, which is why it provides you with more than just email marketing features to take your business online, making it the best email campaign software options you can try today.
As one of the best email automation software available in the market, the platform aims to become your one-stop place for not only building your email list but also setting up your online store, sell your products from your site, and more!
- Choose from a variety of beautiful email templates to edit and send to your list.
- Create a professional website with no design experience with its AI builder.
- Sell your products straight from the site with its e-commerce capabilities.
- Build awareness of your business by launching social media ad campaigns.
- Track the performance of your campaigns in real-time with its robust analytics.
There are two plans to choose from. The Email plan (starting at $20/month) covers everything you need to run a basic yet effective email campaign. The Email Plus plan (starting $45/month) serves up users with exclusive features such as automated email series, advanced e-commerce marketing, customizable pop-up forms, and more, ideal for being a business email marketing software.
The price for each plan depends on your number of contacts. The more people you have in your list, the higher the price becomes.
- Lets users create your company logo, schedule social media posts, and sell digital products
- Great deliverability rates
- Also supports invitation management, registrations, and tickets
- Service cancellation requires users to call customer support
- Limited automation options
Some say you have to shell out cash to get the most out of your business. While that may be true to an extent, businesses with nothing to show for are better off using a free tool to get things started for the time being. In short, the best email software doesn’t necessarily have to be paid.
Thankfully, Sendinblue provides relief to cash-strapped businesses as they can build their email campaign platforms and contacts as well as email lists in confidence without the extra charges.
- Communicate with your audience using its email, SMS, and live chat functionalities.
- Segment and personalize your communication with customers to better conversions.
- Turn more visitors into clients by creating landing pages and launching Facebook Ads.
- Conduct A/B testing and heat mapping to see how customers engage with your emails.
- Connect the platform with your third-party apps to improve your productivity,
As mentioned, Sendinblue’s free plan allows you to generate unlimited contacts and send 300 emails a day, which is more than ideal to get you started.
The paid plans starting at $25/month lets you send more emails and enjoy its premium features such as A/B testing, advanced statistics, and others.
- Transactional and autoresponder mail options are available
- Offers 40,000 free emails monthly
- Design templates are well designed and very responsive
- Unable to recognize additional fields such as gender and date
- Limited third party integration
Different enterprise marketing solutions will offer a variety of features. However, most of the tools featured here focus on providing users with email marketing features to grow their businesses. Email alone won’t be enough to help users continue scaling their businesses and reach their full potential, which is why companies rely on the best email outbound software. The best email platforms and the best email campaign management software frees up users to focus on the business by giving you the option to automate processes through essential email campaign tools.
Hubspot is a tool that covers a lot of ground related to marketing. Not only can you use its email features to attract and convert the right audience, but you’ll also gain access to tools that’ll help boost your inbound marketing strategy.
- Create and send beautiful emails using their templates proven to convert.
- Optimize the performance of email campaigns with the help of A/B testing and analytics.
- Use information from each subscriber’s contact records to personalize your emails.
- Develop conversion-focused content about your topic to increase website authority.
- Design and test CTA elements on a page or campaign to achieve optimum results.
Hubspot has a free plan containing its free marketing tools (email, landing pages, form, etc.). But if you want access to premium features and additional tools for SEO, marketing automation, and more, then you must shell out $800/month.
While Hubspot is one of the more expensive tools in this list, keep in mind that email marketing is part of the many other things it can do. So if you’re looking for a tool that can shore up your marketing efforts, then Hubspot is hard to beat.
- HubSpot is a real all-in-one CRM solution
- It has great supplemental content
- You get email marketing support and social media scheduling features
- Offers a free version
- Squeaky-clean integration
- Big on mobile optimization
- HubSpot does not have an e-commerce platform
- It is expensive considering all the features you’re getting
- The user experience can be overwhelming for some folks
- Pricing plans are complex and get expensive quickly
- The all-encompassing features can be tricky to harness
- Customer support could be stronger given the tool’s scope
For content creators, the last thing they need to worry about is setting up their email campaigns to increase their sales. On top of that, not every email software makes setting up your campaigns and automations easy.
The best email platform takes the guesswork of email marketing, and that’s exactly what ConvertKit can do. It’s specifically built to be easy to use, so while it’s a simple email marketing software, it provides a seamless email platform for bloggers and creators so they can focus on creating more content their audience loves. And if you compare email marketing services between ConvertKit and some of its top competition, it certainly holds it’s own.
- Design simple forms and landing pages that convert.
- Generate more subscribers by attaching content upgrades to your forms.
- Get more things done and earn money using its easy-to-use automation workflow builder.
- Create unlimited sales funnels using drip campaigns to generate recurring revenue.
- Segment your audience so you can send each of them emails they want to receive.
ConvertKit has a free account for not more than 1,000 subscribers. You have access to all its features except the automated funnels, support, and integrates.
The plan even includes two courses to help you get started with your online business by creating a digital product and selling it to your subscribers.
The premium features are available starting at $29/month with the same number of subscribers. If you’re currently signed up to a different email platform, ConvertKit can migrate your list to its system for free.
- Reliable deliverability
- Interface is simple and easy to use
- Broadcast email functionality is seamless and convenien
- A choice of 50+ templates and quality themes
- Handy additional elements like a countdown timer and past edition feed
- A quick and effective way to automate business
- Lacks integration with ecommerce platforms
- Not ideal for multiple clients
- Solely specializing in email means that you’ll need heavier integration all round
- Clunky builder
- Lacks spam testing
GetResponse is one of the most well-respected email marketing platforms and with good reason, it’s one of the best email campaign services you can try. Trusted but small and big brands world leads, it gives you a chance to expedite the growth of your business from generating leads to boosting online sales.
The platform also has one of the most developed email features in the market. You can create automated funnels using landing pages and paid ads to get the most out of your email campaigns.
- Design emails using its drag-and-drop editor to impress your audience.
- Easily create landing pages from its selection of beautiful templates.
- Collect more contacts for your list using embeddable and pop-up forms.
- Build a sales funnel from scratch to grow your audience and revenue from your products.
- Connect with your audience more effectively using its built-in webinar software.
GetResponse offers four plans to choose from starting at $15/month for 1,000 contacts. You can save more from your plan if you shell out a one time payment worth 12 months (18% off) or 24 months (30% off).
The basic plan covers the basic features such as email marketing, landing page builder, and automation templates, among others. The other plans include premium functions like webinars, automation builders, sales funnels, and more.
You can take the platform for a 30-day free trial before you commit to any of its plans.
- List building and list automation options available
- GetResponse offers good templates
- Easy-to-use design and spam testing
- Supports powerful lead generation features best for eCommerce sites and webinar promotions
- Lets users monitor Google, Facebook, and Instagram from the GetResponse account
- Customizable webinar URL
- Gathers detailed statistics and insight
- Easy, one-click webinar recording feature
- Some of the landing pages don’t work great on mobile devices
- The drag-and-drop feature could use some tweaks
- The deliverability rate needs improvement
- Basic plan doesn’t offer webinar features
- Phone support is available only for the custom paid price plan
Best for eCommerce email marketing
Omnisend is a comprehensive email marketing platform that offers a wide range of features to help you grow your eCommerce brand. With Omnisend, you can create highly personalized emails, custom automation flows to meet your unique needs, and track your results with detailed reports.
Omnisend offers fantastic value for money and has an impressive range of features, as well as some great integration with most popular eCommerce platforms, such as Shopify, WooCommerce, BigCommerce, and more. It’s easy to use and can help you take your eCommerce business to new heights. There are a few areas where it could improve such as its user interface and the range of templates on offer, but overall it’s a great toolkit that we recommend.
- Multi-channel marketing campaigns
- Drag-and-drop email editor
- Great reporting for in-depth campaign analysis
- Smart audience segmentation
- Automated email marketing campaigns
- Wide range of integrations with eCommerce platforms and marketing tools
Omnisend offers a free plan with a generous 250 contacts limit so you can try out Omnisend’s features before committing to a subscription. Paid plans pricing for Omnisend start at $16/month for up to 500 subscribers. If you have more than 2500 subscribers, pricing starts at $35/month.
- Impressive ‘product picker’ feature
- Lots of automation features
- Effortless signup and streamlined UI
- Supports native integrations with top ecommerce platforms
- Great customer service
- Email design options are limited
- Manual input of data every time users launch a social media campaign
Aweber is one of the older entries in this list of email marketing platforms. And that it is still around after all these years goes to show Aweber’s resilience in the market.
Simplifying email marketing to small businesses, Aweber provides them with all the tools to grow their contacts by sending them the best emails in a matter of minutes.
- Choose from pre-built email campaigns and set up your automation in a few clicks.
- Get help from Aweber Certified Experts to take on your marketing efforts.
- Migrate your list from a different email platform to Aweber for free.
- Manage your list easily to ensure that all your mails are sent to the right people.
- Create sign-up forms, curate newsletter content, and track data using its mobile app.
If you have less than 500 subscribers, Aweber offers a free plan containing its basic features except email split testing, automation, advanced analytics, and more. Also, you can only send 3,000 emails a month to your lists.
To get rid of its limitations and unlock all its features, sign up to its Pro plan at $19/month for the same amount of subscribers. The more subscribers added to your list, the higher the monthly subscription is.
- Intuitive list management tools
- Supports PayPal integration that provides accurate sales tracking
- Comprehensive education tools and media for tutorials
- Great selection of landing page templates
- Quite expensive versus competitors
- Deliverability rates are below average
No matter how feature-rich an email platform is, it won’t matter unless it can successfully deliver emails to people. Some tools can’t guarantee this to users, which leads in low engagement with subscribers. As a result, the ISPs might block their email campaigns.
Pabbly is a platform that prioritizes deliverability above the rest. Not only does it have an SMTP with 98% success rate, but users can add more SMTPs to guarantee subscribers that they will receive the emails users will send from this platform.
- Build emails using its drag-and-drop builder and automatically schedule them for sending.
- Increase deliverability rates by sending your emails by connecting multiple SMTPs.
- Set autoresponders to improve engagement with new and current subscribers.
- Scrub bad emails off your list to protect your servers from malware and online threats.
- Connect the platform to 300+ third-party tools to automate your workflows.
If you want to try out Pabbly, you can sign up to its free plan with restricted features.
All its paid subscriptions give users access to all its features. The only difference is the pricing – the basic plan starts at $29/month for 5,000 subscribers. Once users exceed 5,000 contacts, they’ll move up to the next plan costing them $49/month.
- Built-in delivery engine ensures high deliverability
- Offers a drag and drop builder
- Capably handles spam complaints
- No additional transaction fees
- No mobile app available
- Requires base transaction fees
- Subscription forms will require additional payment
For site owners, engaging with site visitors is their top priority. Therefore, aside from featuring a sign-up form on a page, they’d want to add live chat, chatbot widgets, and others to increase the chances of getting a response from them.
Gist has these features on top of its email marketing features, making it the perfect solution for businesses looking to bridge the communication gap between them and their audience.
- Use its email builder to create broadcast and automated emails.
- Send upsell and cross-sell emails whenever customers purchase your products.
- Simplify your communication across different channels in a single dashboard.
- Use live chat and chatbot widget to entertain questions of site visitors in real-time.
- Create a knowledge base to address common concerns about your business.
There are three Gist plans to choose from. The free tier has its basic features, as well as two support seats for those who will manage your chat and inbox.
The Professional plan ($29/month) gives access to a public knowledge base, automated chat triggers, and lead qualification bot, among other features, on top of five support seats.
Finally, the Premium plan ($99/month) grants users unlimited support team and features dedicated for improving internal communications (round robin assignments, team performance reports, real-time message sneak peek, etc.).
- Free plan is quite comprehensive
- Supports advanced cross-channel messaging
- Offers buildable forms and popups
- Clunky chat history functionality
- Limited integrations
“Simple” can have a negative connotation. But there’s nothing wrong about making email marketing simple, just like MailerLite has been doing for small businesses.
At the same time, don’t let MailerLite’s simplicity fool you. Its robust features can help you grow your subscribers exponentially and expedite the growth of your business.
- Build professional-looking emails without typing a line of code.
- Get more subscribers using forms, landing pages, pop-ups, and more.
- Use its advanced targeting features to send the best emails to the correct people.
- Get the most out of your campaigns via A/B testing, delivery by timevzone, and others.
- Check your campaign’s click maps and opens by location to see areas of improvement.
MailerLite has a free plan for users with less than 1,000 subscribers. It offers the basic features but its users can only send 12,000 emails in a month. Also, features like custom domain, auto resend, and A/B split testing are not available.
The paid plans starting at $10/month for 1-1,000 subscribers will unlock all the features for you. Before committing to any of their paid plans, you can sign up for a 14-day free trial of the platform.
When it all boils down to it, email marketing is about building relationships with your target audience in the most effective way possible.
Benchmark Email makes this possible by providing its users with tools focused on helping you engage with your contacts and potentially turn them into clients or customers.
- Choose a landing page template to edit and customize according to your brand.
- Automatically send relevant offers to your subscribers to put your sales on autopilot.
- Segment your list and send each of them personalized content to boost conversions.
- Monitor how your recipients engage with your emails to improve future campaigns.
- Integrate platform with 1,500 apps to simplify and automate your workflow.
The Free plan lets you use its basic email marketing features, which should be enough to help you generate subscribers to your list. You can collect as many contacts under this plan, but you can only send a maximum of 250 emails a month.
The Pro plan ($15/month for 500 contacts) lets you send unlimited emails and unlocks advanced features for landing pages, reporting, and more. The price increases as you generate more contacts for your list.
If you want email white labeling and a dedicated IP for sending emails, you must reach out to its Enterprise plan.
- Great native split testing
- List cleaning automation is very easy
- Perfectly optimized for mobile use
- Pricing runs high compared to competition
- Buggy text formatting feature
Ever had a killer email campaign that nobody saw? Whatever the reason may be, you want to give it another go to not only increase your sales but also learn how you can tweak it further to improve its open rates.
Automizy provides you with the tools to make all this happen. By improving the open rates of your campaigns, you can reach out to your audience and serve them your business more effectively.
- Build high-performing email automations and put your sales campaigns on autopilot.
- Test subject lines before hitting send using the platform’s predictive analysis feature.
- Let the tool decide the best-performing subject lines variant your contacts will receive.
- Work with unlimited users and sub-accounts to grow your subscriber base.
- Plug your account with third-party tools using native and Zapier integrations.
Automizy’s pricing starts at $9/month for 200 contacts. The more subscribers you have in your account, the higher the monthly subscription becomes. All plans have the same features such as the visual automation builder, website behavior tracking, unlimited users and sub-accounts, and more.
- Visual automation builder is easy to use
- Reliable auto-resend feature
- Affordable pricing
- Built-in A/B testing feature
- No mobile app available
- Limited customization options
Whether you’re starting your business out or are looking to take it even further, there’s a lot to love with Moosend. It provides users with tools to grow their contacts and automatically send them emails for building better relationships with them and increasing their sales.
Unlike most email marketing platforms featured in this post, Moosend has excellent customer support ranging from live chat to knowledge base and video tutorials–which means your email marketing system frees you up for more dedicated business tasks instead of being bogged down by understanding how it works. You can be sure to find answers to your questions about the tool.
- Segment your list and send them beautiful emails using its drag-and-drop editor.
- Set up your marketing automation workflows and let the platform sell products for you.
- Use cart abandonment emails and other personalization features to recoup lost sales.
- Build well-designed landing pages and forms from scratch without any design experience.
- Gain insights about your campaigns using real-time analytics data.
Moosend has a Free Forever plan that lets you send unlimited campaigns to less than 1,000 subscribers, albeit with limitations on its features. To unlock the platform’s true power, sign up to any of its paid plans starting at $10/month for 2,000 subscribers max. Users will get access to landing pages, transactional emails, SMTP server, and others.
- Advanced features available even under the free plan
- Prompt customer support accessible on live chat
- Comprehensive reporting includes geolocation insight and heatmap data
- Email editor and signup for builder can be hard to use
- Design template selection is quite basic
People reach out to businesses using different channels such as live chat, email, messenger, and others. It’s hard to keep track of each communication using different tools for each.
However, Sendpulse gathers all those channels into a single dashboard to make engagement and transactions more convenient between businesses and their audience.
- Build adaptive emails from scratch that look good when opened on any device.
- Set up trigger emails to be sent out to people on different stages of your sales funnel.
- Engage with leads and customers via Viber and chatbots of Facebook and Telegram.
- Send push notifications to your audience from their desktops.
- Launch SMS campaigns to send text messages worldwide as part of your automation.
- Send up to 12000 messages for free through an SMTP server.
Sendpulse’s email marketing system offers two types of payment methods. Its monthly subscription plans start at $8/month for 500 contacts, but there is a free plan for the same number of contacts but with a 15000 sent email limit a month.
The other type is Pay as You Go, which lets you purchase a set number of messages to send your subscribers and must consume within 12 months. Prices start at $32 for 10,000 messages.
For its other features like transactional emails, SMS, and web push, you must sign up for a separate payment plan for each.
- Seamlessly built for emails, SMS, messenger chatbots, Telegram and Whatsapp
- Capable of setting up trigger flows using emails
- Supports web-push notifications and event-triggered emails
- Seamlessly built for emails, SMS, messenger chatbots, Telegram and Whatsapp
- Capable of setting up trigger flows using emails
- Supports web-push notifications and event-triggered emails
Email is one of the best ways of personalizing your interactions with your audience. However, there are lots of variables you must consider creating personalized emails that convert.
Mailigen breaks down the technical aspects of email marketing, which means this particular email marketing software frees you up to concentrate on more high-level aspects of your business. This way, you can focus on crafting messages that engage your audience and turn them into customers if they aren’t one yet.
- Develop automation workflows that don’t sound robotic using dynamic email content.
- Connect the platform with third-party tools for a comprehensive marketing solution.
- Gather customer feedback and insights by creating and sending them online surveys.
- Check real-time reports and A/B split tests to see how to make your campaigns better.
- Engage your customers even more using transactional emails and SMS marketing.
Mailigen is free until you reach your first 500 contacts using the platform which you have to pay for $10/month ($8/month paid annually). Its simple pricing and plans include all features from email marketing to A/B split testing and analytics.
Before subscribing, you can use the first 30 days upon signing up to an account to test the platform.
There’s also a Pay as You Go plan starting at $40 for 2,500 email credits.
If you’re working with a team that will manage your email efforts, then you need a tool that has the features and capabilities to get everybody involved and brainstorm for the best campaigns to send your subscribers.
Mailjet allows you to get involved with your email campaigns by giving your approval first before they are sent out to your subscribers.
- Invite team members and assign them specific roles and tasks in your account.
- Collaborate on emails in real-time using its locking, comment, and approval features.
- Collect any type of data from your customer to help you segment them in your list.
- Send personalized emails to subscribers at the right time for higher conversions.
- Ensure that subscribers receive your mails without fail with its API and SMTP relay.
Mailjet’s Free plan lets you send 6,000 emails a month (200 a day) to unlimited contacts. It also grants you access to its APIs and SMTP relay, as well as its advanced email editor.
The paid plans starting at $9.65/month and 30,000 emails max offer its premium features such as online customer support, A/B testing, segmentation, and more.
Arguably the most popular email marketing tool in the list, MailChimp has grown more than just a platform for sending emails to your subscribers. You now have the ability to create a website for your business, as well as launch digital ads to round out your marketing strategy.
With its flexible plans and intuitive website and email builder, you’d be foolish to not at least try MailChimp out if you’re serious in growing your business.
- Create emails from beautiful and editable templates you can use for your campaigns.
- Use predictive insights and behavioral tracking to segment people in your list.
- Let its dynamic content and product recommendations allow you to send better content.
- Optimize your campaigns by personalizing and sending your emails at the best times.
- Gather insights and track audience engagement to help you improve your campaigns.
MailChimp’s Marketing Platform is free for up to 2,000 subscribers. It includes its marketing CRM and the ability to create forms and landing pages, among others.
The paid tiers starting at $9/month for 50,000 contacts give you access to advanced features like multi-step journeys, A/B testing, behavioral targeting, and more.
You can also sign up to their Pay as You Go plan you can activate from your dashboard and transactional email plans starting at $20/block.
What Are Email Marketing Platforms?
Email marketing platforms are tools where you can build your contact list using forms and landing pages. You can then set up your email campaigns to be sent to your subscribers. After which, you can measure their results and make improvements for future campaigns.
Other email tools grant you access to complementary features such as live chat, chatbots, and CRM to manage your marketing campaigns in a single dashboard with email at the forefront. Regardless, a tool with robust email marketing features is good enough to help you build an audience and grow your revenue if used correctly.
Can I Do Email Marketing for Free?
Yes. There are email marketing platforms that let you build your subscribers and send emails to them for free. However, most free plans are limited and don’t include all the features of the tool.
When is the Best Time to Send an Email?
It depends on when the subscribers are online to open the emails you’ll send. Some email tools have send time optimization features that predict the best time to send your emails to subscribers.
How Do You Optimize Email Campaigns?
There are many variables to consider for optimizing email campaigns. Some of them involve your subject line and send time (to increase open rates) as well as personalized dynamic content (to improve CTR).
As you can see from the list above, you won’t run out of email marketing platforms to choose from. However, it’s also important to note that each software has features not available on others, which means that each platform works best for specific use cases.
Our Top Picks:
- For businesses looking for a powerful email marketing software that can do other things to help elevate your brand to the next level, you can go wrong with ActiveCampaign.
- If you’re looking for a freemium email marketing tool to help you get started with building a list and sending emails, the free plan of Sendinblue should suit you well.
- While email automation workflows help you earn money while you sleep, setting up can be a pain. Thankfully, ConvertKit has an intuitive builder to make building funnels easy for beginners.
- If you want to focus on building an email list for your eCommerce business, Omnisend has unique features that allow you to truly track the full customer journey of your subscribers.